Πέμπτη 8 Δεκεμβρίου 2011

Intermezzo: Brendan Behan, I remember in September



BRENDAN BEHAN
I Remember In September
(From The Hostage)

I remember in September,
When the final stumps were drawn,
And the shouts of crowds now silent
And the boys to tea were gone.
Let us, oh Lord above us,
Still remember simple things,
When all are dead who love us,
Oh the Captains and the Kings,
When all are dead who love us,
Oh the Captains and the Kings.
Far away in dear old Cyprus,
Or in Kenya’s dusty land,
Where all bear the white man’s burden
In many a strange land.
As we look across our shoulder
In West Belfast the school bell rings,
And we sigh for dear old England,
And the Captains and the Kings.
I wandered in a nightmare
All around Great Windsor Park,
And what did you think I found there
As I stumbled in the dark?
It was an apple half-bitten,
And sweetest of all things,
Five baby teeth had written
Of the Captains and the Kings.


Εικόνα:
εικαστική παρέμβαση του ποιητή Βασίλη Πολύζου
σε παλιά φωτογραφία του Brendan Behan
2011

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: